Forum changes

New to the board and want to practice? Do it here. Find a bug in the forum, report it here.

Moderator: Tuna Cowboy

Forum changes

Postby poopShotgun » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:05 pm

In our continuing effort to combat spam and the scum-holes that vend it, I will be making some changes to the forum tonight (11/30/06, sometime after 8:00pm or 9:00pm PST). The changes are as follows:

1. New and existing members must complete a seven-day, ten-post minimum before they may do the following:
1 a. View a member's email address.
1 b. View a member's profile.
1 c. View the memberlist.
1 d. Post URLs in topics.
This "trial period" will hopefully prevent spammers from taking advantage of our forum here and will also make the board completely useless to spammers as well. Since this is such a major change, I will see what I can do for long-standing members who have not completed their requisite ten posts. However, all new members MUST conform to these rules. We are looking for ten legitimate posts from new members; If you post ten "Hi" topics or replies, I'll likely delete your account and take you for a spammer.

2. All of the changes above also apply to "spoofed" users and anonymous users. A spammer will often post a URL in their profile or in their signature in the hopes of increasing the Google rating of their website. These changes will mean that Google cannot view the memberlist, signatures, or individual profiles, just as a spammer cannot now collect your email address from profiles anonymously.

3. Certain changes to posting and registration will hopefully stop so-called "spambots" in their tracks. If you create a post or reply to a post and complete the post in under 5 seconds, you will be redirected to the "preview post" page before you post. Simply click the Submit button again .
3 a. You may not enter a web-page URL during registration anymore. Doing so through a script will now halt the registration. You may, however, add one to your profile after logging in the first time.

I will do some initial testing tonight, but I want every member of the forums to be on the lookout for strange forum behavior (as in, the forum acting wierd, not the people using it...) Please, please, please, report it here so I can make changes to the code as appropriate. You can also Private Message me if you want.

Thank you all for your understanding. If you encounter any abnormalities, please contact poopshotgun or joe.
Last edited by poopShotgun on Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Splash me on in the morning and wear the great smell of me all day long.
poopShotgun

Postby joe » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:41 pm

O RLY
joe
Site Admin

Postby poopShotgun » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:25 pm

YA RLY!!!

New code is in place. I have tested it out with a new account and it works fairly well, but keep an eye on it, loyal members! Hopefully we will see far less spam.

Thank you all for your understanding.
poopShotgun

Postby Cevin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:48 pm

Awesome, and thanks again!
Cevin

Postby poopShotgun » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:01 am

Well, we got two spammers this morning who didn't enter any profile information (which kills the registration process and then emails me.) Maybe the bots have gotten smarter? I added their email domains to the banned list and will continue to do so for any suspicious users.
poopShotgun

Postby poopShotgun » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:07 am

So far we've stopped seven spammers from posting shit on our site. Looks like the code is working well. I'll have to give props to all those phpBB d00ds over at their forums.

Of course, I've had to delete five users so far, but that's little more than a nuisance.

I'm going to look into some code that will PM new users and tell them to contact an Admin through PM (Joe or I) to verify their "humanity". That way we don't have to use email verification, possibly exposing Joe's email address to the web. Some of the new spam users seem to be fishing for email verification sites and looking for email addresses (no other reason for them to create a user I can see.)
poopShotgun

Return to Test Messages and Forum Updates