No spark for me...

If you're having a problem with your scoot, drop us a line!

Moderator: Tuna Cowboy

No spark for me...

Postby jeffreyned » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Ok, after two weeks of not riding I decided to take out the red P tonight. That's when the frustration started. My "daily rider" won't kick over. At first I thought it was a fuel problem. fussed with it and checked the plug, found it to be wet. So I thought "Hmmm flooded I guess". Kicked it over with the plug out several times and let it sit. Tried to start it again and no luck. Pushed it up and down the street a couple times, no luck. Finally dawned on me to check for spark, even though there should be no reason not to have spark... and well, NO SPARK! :shock: :? :cry:

Nothing has changed. Why would I suddenly not have spark? Would a CDI just die without warning? Are there some secret dragon shouts needed to start this fucker???

Please tell me how stupid I am and make this thing work. My ego can take it, but I don't think I can keep running it up and down the street. :roll:
jeffreyned

Re: No spark for me...

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:25 pm

i would try another cdi as that is the most likely culprit. you can disconnect the two green wires and check for spark to make sure it's not something in your key or kill switch.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby jeffreyned » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Tuna Cowboy wrote:i would try another cdi as that is the most likely culprit. you can disconnect the two green wires and check for spark to make sure it's not something in your key or kill switch.

Pulled the green wires, still no sparky.

Anybody got a spare CDI I could borrow? If that's the culprit I'll order one up.
jeffreyned

Postby jeffreyned » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:03 pm

I have also considered the fact that the P is just being difficult out of jealousy. I've been spending a lot of time with the bus lately. :?
jeffreyned

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:24 pm

jeffreyned wrote:I have also considered the fact that the P is just being difficult out of jealousy. I've been spending a lot of time with the bus lately. :?

new spark plug and make sure the spark plug top hat is tight onto the plug since that can get loose and cause issues...

check CDI ground is still solid and that if you pull on the wire connector area that it is still "glued into the cdi body"

check spark plug wire and plug cap

that is strange
spiderwebb

Postby joe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:29 pm

check your connections. make sure the end of your HT coil is not pulled or tweaked. I have a spare CDI you can borrow, but you need to come get it and return it to me by thursday night. if you need to order a new CDI, order two, one for a back up. they will take a crap on you eventually. get the blue ducati. they fail less often
Site Admin

Postby jeffreyned » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 pm

I checked the spark plug wire connection, used a new plug, made sure it was dark enough to see a spark, etc. The ground wire on the CDI is solid. I don't know how or why it would die without any warning or use. Ran fine before. I guess there is always a moment when something electrical stops working. Oh well. Better it happened in the garage than out on the road.

I'd like to verify it's the CDI before ordering one up, just to make sure I'm barking up the right tree, though I don't know what else it would be at this point. :?:
jeffreyned

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:24 pm

jeffreyned wrote:I'd like to verify it's the CDI before ordering one up, just to make sure I'm barking up the right tree, though I don't know what else it would be at this point. :?:

mice....??

You can grab the CDI off my green P and use it till you get one in the mail

no problem pal

If I have time I'll take it off for you and bring it to the Lope this weds if we are going there...???
if not you can scoot over and remove it when I am free this week / weekend...

word
spiderwebb

Postby jeffreyned » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:46 am

spiderwebb wrote:
jeffreyned wrote:I'd like to verify it's the CDI before ordering one up, just to make sure I'm barking up the right tree, though I don't know what else it would be at this point. :?:

mice....??

You can grab the CDI off my green P and use it till you get one in the mail

no problem pal

If I have time I'll take it off for you and bring it to the Lope this weds if we are going there...???
if not you can scoot over and remove it when I am free this week / weekend...

word

Thanks Will! You are the proverbial man! I'll be there tonight. If you are there before me, tell them your first beer is on me. :D I'll be in my bus tonight, keepin' it real.
jeffreyned

Postby jeffreyned » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:05 pm

Hey Will, any chance I could stop over after work today and grab that CDI? I'd like to test it and see if that's the problem on mine before I dig any deeper into this sad mystery.
jeffreyned

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:06 pm

jeffreyned wrote:Hey Will, any chance I could stop over after work today and grab that CDI? I'd like to test it and see if that's the problem on mine before I dig any deeper into this sad mystery.

just got home
give me call
spiderwebb

Postby jeffreyned » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks Will! That CDI I borrowed works like a charm. Dunno why mine took a crap. I'll be ordering up a new one soon.
jeffreyned

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:19 pm

jeffreyned wrote:Thanks Will! That CDI I borrowed works like a charm.

also...

that CDI has a few issues that you can fix for me if you feel like it...
- the location where the wires spades go is loose from the main body (the outer mounting box) and so when you rev the engine the inner box will levitate and move in / out

no big deal

but if you have a few minutes it would be cool if you cleaned it up and applied some plastic glue to that failed seal = that should keep it dry inside where all the electronics are = :)

thanks
spiderwebb

Postby jeffreyned » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Ok, no prob. Your scoot is missing a bracket that bolts to the case and has rubber bushings to dampen vibration.
jeffreyned

Return to Scooter Workshop