gearless...

If you're having a problem with your scoot, drop us a line!

Moderator: Tuna Cowboy

Re: gearless...

Postby Grahamcracker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 am

How normal is it for the EGT to jump a thousand degrees on average with the fiberglass header wrap? I think you are the only other one running it on here. I figure the actual temp of the heat coming out of the motor isn't changing so I should be okay?

The bike runs much better with the wrap on the L-joint, so that is nice.
Grahamcracker

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:21 am

Grahamcracker wrote:How normal is it for the EGT to jump a thousand degrees on average with the fiberglass header wrap? I think you are the only other one running it on here. I figure the actual temp of the heat coming out of the motor isn't changing so I should be okay?

The bike runs much better with the wrap on the L-joint, so that is nice.

that wrap should only get the exhaust up t temp faster... not make it hotter
the gauge must be faulty or something...??

is it staying up in the 2000+ range....??
thats not a true # since the exhaust can't can't above 1300 whenh they are tuned right and yours is not
:shock: :shock:
spiderwebb

Postby Grahamcracker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 am

Oops, meant to say a hundred. It was a bit early... :oops:
I don't think the gauge is faulty, but it was running about a hundred degrees higher on avg. during the mornings commute
Grahamcracker

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Grahamcracker wrote:Oops, meant to say a hundred. It was a bit early... :oops:
I don't think the gauge is faulty, but it was running about a hundred degrees higher on avg. during the mornings commute

100 degs hotter is fine...

the egt probe temps shall be evened out and won't spike as fast as it did before this and the exhaust shall get to a nice running temp faster which is better for a cold start

Gearless24 also said to me today that this wrap can help show the rider / tuner the spots in the rpms where the jetting is a bit lean...
spiderwebb

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:54 pm

how hot it hotter? 1250 you are still doing ok but getting warm, 1400 and you are in trouble.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby Gearless42 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:39 pm

you should shoot for 900-1200 ideally. If you wrap your header, it will make your jetting problems more evident :wink:
If you keep fiddling with it, it's going to fall off...
~Landon
Gearless42

Postby Grahamcracker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:58 am

I haven't gotten it past 1200 yet, but I also haven't been able to sustain a cruising speed for more than just a minute or two either. I will find out more on my trip down to Salem tonight or tomorrow morning.
Grahamcracker

Postby Grahamcracker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 pm

So that K&N filter was pretty much causing all of my jetting issues haha It was restricting a ton of air from getting in there so so it couldn't really do anything after that 1/2 throttle point. I figured since it worked on yours it would work on mine just fine, but i must still suck down more fuel with the stroker crank and the 215 kit.

I called you to talk about it, but i'd think that it would have had a serious impact on your bike at some point in the throttle range, even if it wasn't evident. Maybe enough that the jetting was buggered and way off when we got that uni pod filter on there. Think it could have had a hand in the issue you've got now?
Grahamcracker

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:13 am

how was a k and n restricting that much air? keep 'em clean and they are very free flowing. just curious.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby Grahamcracker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 am

There was a spot that got smashed over time from throttle/choke cable sitting atop it.
Grahamcracker

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm

K&N filters are great
it was not you problem
you do need to re oil them every few months

you can set up a carbs jetting to match then needs of the kit, carb, filter, porting, compression and timing as needed... just takes time and plug chops or feel. I am still playing with my smallframe jetting after 8+ months to show you it takes time to do it right.

I am guessing that the exhaust port in not opened up correctly / shaped right and that the port timing are off for the pipe and carb settings... as JJ if checked them over and wrote down the data = exhaust timing and width of 180degs / 68&=% of the bore, blowdown of around 30 degs and intake timing that the pipe needes... the pipe is the decider here and the kit needs to match the kit / porting

pinasco right...??
they are ported out of the box to work with sito+'s / stock pipes and inturn have "hot spots" at partial throttle openings if used with expansion pipes.

check your math
it wasn't the air filters fault
spiderwebb

Postby Grahamcracker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:12 pm

it was for sure the filter, i'm sure it worked great at one point, but it has gone through it's lifespan.

I couldn't go over 55, anything past half throttle and it would just make a louder noise, aka not getting enough air.

Slapped a new unifilter on and INSTANTLY i've got throttle through the whole range and was cruising at 70-75 with good temps. So you can't say it wasn't the filter...
Grahamcracker

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:30 pm

so the air filter was clogged up with dirt...

lowered air flow = richer jetting = bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sound and fouled plugs

ok

but you should still ponder the above math when you get into there next time and make sure it is right as I bet JJ only did the basics for a road going scoot = chamfer & squish check = no port timings improvements

ask him
spiderwebb

Postby Grahamcracker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 pm

he will be in my garage in a few minutes to drop off a frame, i will ask...
Grahamcracker

Postby J2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 pm

I did not alter the port timings or the exhaust port, aside from chamfering and port matching. I did set it up so that the exhaust port was fully open at bdc and the squish was set at 1,5 mm. The head is a lower comp head as well, (MMW) made for the setup with a larger combustion chamber than the pinasco head. I ran the identical setup on my touring/rally bike and put thousands of blasting miles on it including a ride from L.A. to seattle. It is bulletproof.
J2

Previous

Return to Scooter Workshop