FNG

If you're having a problem with your scoot, drop us a line!

Moderator: Tuna Cowboy

FNG

Postby romer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Hello everyone, I recently got my hands on an '09 vespa 150 4 stroke. I'm pretty good with my hands but I don't know a thing about scooters. This ones headlight and gas gauge don't work. I don't have a service manual so I bought a Haynes. It is utter B___S___. Mine has only 1,600 miles on it but I can tell it's been abused and dropped. The remaining oil didn't even reach the stick and was black black. I got a new headlamp to no avail. Check for power with VM, nothing. I found some fuses next to the battery and all are ok. (2). It has a Piagio badge front center. All other lights and signals work. Is there another fuse box? and how do I get at it? Where is the oil filter? drain plug? Where can I get the correct service manual? owners manual? Motor will run but can't develop any RPMs. Where is the fuel filter. I found the plug but want to know what is the best replacement? Right now it can't get out of its own way. I read that the light switches could be corroded. How big of a problem is this? I mean is it prevalent. I need some help from you guys on this one. Thanks very much, Robert
romer

Re: FNG

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:57 am

welcome to the board robert. most of us only know a very little about the new bikes. i've changed a belt on an et2 before (50cc similar to your bike) but haven't done much else. dave, who is currently on vacation, probably has the most knowledge as he has a gt300 and previously a gt250. i agree with you on the haynes, at least the book for the older models are only really good for some specs and even those can be wrong at times.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:37 am

I have Haynes books for most of the new 4strokes.
English Dave
Dave

Postby romer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am

Knock, knock.... Hello?.... It's me Dave I got the sh!t leme in!... Dave's not home. Remember that famous Cheech and Chong bit? Anyway how good is Clymers? How about genuine service manuals from Vespa/Piagio? Why don't we call them Pespas or Viagos. All joking aside, can you direct me to a www. site. These things are much more popular in Europe.
romer

Postby joe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 am

romer wrote:Knock, knock.... Hello?.... It's me Dave I got the sh!t leme in!... Dave's not home. Remember that famous Cheech and Chong bit? Anyway how good is Clymers? How about genuine service manuals from Vespa/Piagio? Why don't we call them Pespas or Viagos. All joking aside, can you direct me to a www. site. These things are much more popular in Europe.

Good luck. The new scooter industry isn't really ramped up to support DIY and shade tree mechanics. They want you to pay your local Vespa dealer $85/hour to wrench on new automatic scooters. Acquiring spares is just as difficult. The industry is geared toward selling scoots instead of repairing them. This is why Ptown Scooters in Portland quit working on newer bikes ($200 to change a tire). Hopefully in the future parts and information will be better available. That one main reason everyone here rides vintage scooters. Easier to work on, easier to acquire spare parts and less expensive to maintain. Oh, and fun :)

'09 with 1600 miles? isn't still under warranty? Has Wheel Works looked at it yet? You can probably get an owners manual and maybe a service manual from them too.
Site Admin

Postby romer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:28 am

who & where is wheel works? I'm in the phoenix area. I AM a seasoned mechanic who's been riding all my life. (born in '58) I started and crashed on a Triumph 600 (first of 3) I've also owned Honda 350's where the the back seat rider would reach forward and cover the eyes of the driver and "direct" when we were kids. On through WW II 45's and Panheads. My last Harley was a 1000 Sportster. Now I'm on disability and ride an 81 Virago 750 'cause they're cheap and easy to find parts for. When I was 7 years old I got a Schwinn 20 incher brand new for my birthday and promptly tore it down to the bearings and races to "see how it works". We had to carry the pieces back to the dealer and I got a whipping and no bike. So I built my own little bike shop from used and scavenged parts and always had customers in the kids around the block. I've had a bike in one form or another since. I've never taken my car or truck to a shop unless they had a piece of equipment I need access to. My Vespa 150 is an about face from my norm because of inflation and economics woes. Despite the cool logo, the cool reception and apparent snobishness of this site gives one pause to wonder about its contributing authors and if there is a mission statement or credo. Don't ride tupperware is an insult to those without means and you folks should be ashamed. By the way how do you get the cowlings off "tupperware" without damage? Rubber screw drivers like your c_cks
romer

Postby joe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 am

I suggest you post here: http://modernvespa.com/forum/

or go to Vespa and look up your closest dealer http://www.vespausa.com/
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:50 am

It would have helped if you had mentioned that you were in Phoenix, my offer of help is there fore wasted. Make friends with your local Vespa shop and be prepared to pay.
English Dave
Dave

Return to Scooter Workshop