Graham's P200e thread.

If you're having a problem with your scoot, drop us a line!

Moderator: Tuna Cowboy

Re: Graham's P200e thread.

Postby Miguel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:55 am

Scooter Mercato has a new P200 to end for $159 before a 20% discount. If I were going to have Hot Rod Al do some work for me it would be on a top end that hasn't been bored so if you have more problems down the road you can bore it. Doesn't seem too smart to pay for porting on a top end with no more bores on it. You should really call Hot Rod Al, tell him your setup and solicit his advice remembering you would prefer to not be stuck on the side of the road between EUG and PDX.
Miguel

Postby Grahamcracker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:23 am

Talked to al yesterday. He advised boring out the original head to 208 with polini piston an a bunch of porting work with a long stroke crank. It would be a pretty expensive route for using an old top end plus all the shipping as well.

Talked to JJ as well and he said he could stop by to look at the motor once it is split and the we can decide what parts I need to replace for sure.

I don't think I will go the stock motor route, but nothing super crazy either. I just need to get the motor to a point that it will play well with the carb and pipe. :mrgreen:
Grahamcracker

Postby Grahamcracker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:15 am

I've got the motor to the point to where it should be able to be split, but can't get it apart... Is it easier to split the case with the motor dropped?
Grahamcracker

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:24 am

double check yourself against http://vespamaintenance.com/ as they have a good and complete teardown. you might have missed a bolt. after you are sure that you have nothing left to take off, i usually give it a couple light taps with a rubber mallet, not hard as it should want to pop apart. i believe that vespa mainenance also includes a section on where you can tap if it is stuck together.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby joe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:33 am

Yes, drop the motor
Site Admin

Postby J2 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:00 pm

The bottom most bolt faces the other direction, nut on the back. also if you didn't remove the stator there are 4 behind it. you will need to take the cylinder off too.
J2

Postby Grahamcracker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:49 pm

got the motor dropped and split with no issue once the motor was out of the bike. JJ gratefully stopped by and looked at the innards with me to figure out what needs to be replaced.

Stuff that has gone to shit:
Cylinder
Piston
Crank
Bearings
Clutch
Shifting cross

Stuff that is just crappy:
1st and 2nd gear

Going to throw a Pinasco kit with a Mazzi long stroke crank for a torquey mid-range touring bike that equals out to 225cc. The carb and the pipe will be perfect for that kit, so all the parts will play together well and last for quite a long time.

I'm going to rebuild the clutch, new bearings and throw in a new shifting cross.

By the time the shifting cross bails on me I should have enough money to replace the transmission with a nicer /newer one with the notches in the driveshaft to hold the cruciform from jumping out.

Spent the rest of today making the stator side of the case all nice and shiny!
Grahamcracker

Postby joe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Pinasco, yep
Site Admin

Postby jeffreyned » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Wow Graham. Sorry to hear the news. You're in good hands with JJ and the P-Town crew, so that's good at least. Keep us posted on your build and, as always, include pics!
jeffreyned

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:54 am

why not the malossi...??

do check all new kits to be sure it is right (if p-town is doing this then your fine)
- port timings / bore clearance / squish
- chamfer
- ring gap
spiderwebb

Postby joe » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:18 pm

spiderwebb wrote:why not the malossi...??

do check all new kits to be sure it is right (if p-town is doing this then your fine)
- port timings / bore clearance / squish
- chamfer
- ring gap

I believe JJ is helping him.
Site Admin

Postby J2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Just a word to the wise, P town is on haitus. Patrick has shut down the shop and is on vacation while he considers his options for going solo... or perhaps doing something else entirely.
J2

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:37 pm

J2 wrote:Just a word to the wise, P town is on haitus. Patrick has shut down the shop and is on vacation while he considers his options for going solo... or perhaps doing something else entirely.

All of us down here in Eugene hopes that JJ has time for ya Gram
if not the Eugene crew can help as needed but we are down here and you are all up there...

Grambo... do make sure you / J2 check this kit out with a "fine tooth comb". They all need tuning, you want it to flow air as best it can so the power is up and the cooling is improved. Variable timing / cdi shall be key too if you can fund it = higher, safer rpms & cooler running
spiderwebb

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:25 am

he also has the temp gauge, that will help a lot to identify jetting and flow issues.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby joe » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Grambo, where'd you go??
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Scooter Workshop