Graham's P200e thread.

If you're having a problem with your scoot, drop us a line!

Moderator: Tuna Cowboy

Re: Graham's P200e thread.

Postby Grahamcracker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:27 am

gosh done and put a hole in me piston
Grahamcracker

Postby J2 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Nine out of ten times when you hole a piston it is due to timing being off. what cylinder/ head combo did you have on there?
J2

Postby joe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:27 pm

J2 wrote:Nine out of ten times when you hole a piston it is due to timing being off. what cylinder/ head combo did you have on there?

stock cylinder and head. 30mm phbh carb and JL pipe. the stator has been on/off several times in the last few weeks... timing make sense, considering the other issues he was having (thought to be carb related)

we're pulling the jug off now. it's already a 3rd over bore. not sure about the cylinder. needs better opinion than mine. at a minimum needs a hone.

Site Admin

Postby jeffreyned » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Any luck digging up some parts?
jeffreyned

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:45 pm

if you think the barrel is usable i can take the acid to it. i have to do that to my dr kit and it would be easiest to do two at the same time.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:19 pm

might as well open up the exhaust port and check all the port timings since this tuning helps get the heat out faster

after I fixed my port timings (smallframe) last year my temps lowered too
the barrel needs to be torqued down on the case for this work
if the ports are sharp they should be chamfered

and if you didn't know.... most nice expansion pipes like yours need the exhaust degs to be over 180

where is the scoot...??

gearless24 has the skills to make that barrel "wake up."
spiderwebb

Postby Grahamcracker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Scoot is back up in PDX with me with a big thanks to Joe! Big thanks to Gearless for all the shit he helped me with this weekend, solved a lot of issues with my stator plate! :D But then I blew up the piston :oops:

Not sure if the cylinder is going to be good with just a hone. I can feel some vertical gashes going up and down the cylinder wall... The piston is already 3rd over and there isn't a 4th over on any sites we checked, hell there isn't even a 3rd over that is actually in stock on the well known sites.

I would like to just proceed with the "ultimate vision" I had for the motor and put the Malossi 210 kit on there. It should play well with the other parts on the bike. It's a lot of dough to smack down but would also make for some good fun. All dependent on if I can get the money together in a feasible amount of time...

Question though, can I put a cosa clutch on the bike? It is an 82 p200e and both scooterwest and sip show that the cosa isn't compatible, what gives?
Last edited by Grahamcracker on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahamcracker

Postby Grahamcracker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Potential Parts List:
-Bearing Kit
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_90002100

-Malossi 210 kit with cylinder head
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... c+_3113764

-Gasket set (couldn't find one for non-oil injection)
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_92012000

-shifting cruciform
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_87010000

Let me know what else I should get that i've forgotten for a good rebuild. Thanks!
Grahamcracker

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:34 pm

barrel spacers...??
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... i_90754000

there are also head spacers

might want to talk with Al because he might have a used barrel for cheap that he can tune up...??
http://www.hotrodscooters.com/
spiderwebb

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:27 am

you'll want a jet kit with that new top end. bearings could be ok if you need to save a few bucks but not a bad idea, 200s are fast already, might want to check with al and see if there is a good option for a few less bucks,
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:28 am

I have a malossi 210 on my P, it has been there for nearly twenty years. If I was to do it again I would take a serious look at some of the cast iron kits as the nicosil on the alloy cylinder, although hard , is toast if there is any missadventure with the piston or rings. The exhaust stub on the malossi is also very soft which makes it difficult to get a good seal on the exhaust pipe.
English Dave
Dave

Postby joe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:49 am

I know I am in the minority here, but I don't see the return on investment beyond super stock upgrades.
Site Admin

Postby jeffreyned » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:58 am

joe wrote:I know I am in the minority here, but I don't see the return on investment beyond super stock upgrades.

I have to say, I've been quite satisfied with my stock p200 with a sito plus pipe. 8)

I understand the tuner's mindset and the desire to tinker and push something further. I love watching what Landon and Wil have gotten up to with their builds, and I feel tempted to try that too, but just for fun. Now that my P has become more or less reliable I want to leave it alone.

I could see building up a monster for fun, if I could afford the habbit. :twisted:
jeffreyned

Postby jeffreyned » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:01 am

Dave wrote:I have a malossi 210 on my P, it has been there for nearly twenty years. If I was to do it again I would take a serious look at some of the cast iron kits as the nicosil on the alloy cylinder, although hard , is toast if there is any missadventure with the piston or rings. The exhaust stub on the malossi is also very soft which makes it difficult to get a good seal on the exhaust pipe.

Al said he has the capability to redo nicosil in his shop.
jeffreyned

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 pm

joe wrote:I know I am in the minority here, but I don't see the return on investment beyond super stock upgrades.

the return is the in the eye of the rider and some times that is on the side of the road watching your pals disappear down the road...

I like the idea of super stock too...
- have that barrel cleaned up, ported checked, squish checked, bore clearance checked with the right tools
- order the same piston from where ever you can find it or see if Al has a 200cc barrel & piston that is not so far bored over...
- have Hot Rod Al re-profile that stock head

all this might take a bit longer to get done but I would check all this even with a new kit since they are all "off" a bit due to different cases / crank types / casting flaws, ..ect

cheaper too = $ 175.oo I am guessing
and
power comes in at a lower rpm

call Al asap
spiderwebb

PreviousNext

Return to Scooter Workshop