pinasco install

If you're having a problem with your scoot, drop us a line!

Moderator: Tuna Cowboy

pinasco install

Postby ostella » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm installing a pinasco kit on my stella.the kit says oil ratio to run @ 3%. stock oil pump is 2. can I modify oil pump? what is everyone else doing? thanks :D
ostella

Re: pinasco install

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:29 pm

ostella wrote:I'm installing a pinasco kit on my stella.the kit says oil ratio to run @ 3%. stock oil pump is 2. can I modify oil pump? what is everyone else doing? thanks :D

nope = oil gear is fixed and does its job well when working

the stock oil gear provides anywhere from just under 2 % to up around 3.5 ish % so you should be fine with the stock oil system... others shall chime in if I am wrong but I am close with those #'s

you can remove the oil gear system = remove gear, spline, plug up the oil gear feeder tube and pathway under the carb box, ect... then you would have to mix your gas & oil into the gas tank which people say is better for the long run since those oil gear parts do age and can just stop working one day = booom = :(

everyone says to not add extra oil to the gas tank but that can be argued both ways... adding extra oil displaces gas in the carb = leaner mixture

more oil is not always better and under or @ 3% is all you need

rejet / plug chops are a must after this kit swap along with all the little things to make sure it lasts... chamfer, squish check, plug chops, up the main jet, ect...

if your in our town we can help you anytime

:)
spiderwebb

Postby ostella » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:18 pm

thanks for info. I will post details on completion. :)
ostella

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Stock oil pump ranges from about 1% at idle to 2.5% at full throttle. You will likely seize with stock pump. Many people run into issues with oil pumps when they crest a hill, have a hot motor and are letting of the throttle since you don't need as much coming back down. Safest is to follow the instructions and run 3%, even 3.5% or4% for the first couple tanks to help with break in and seating the rings. Also check the tech sticky on break in, but basically 10 tanks of gas before sustained full throttle. The more time you take now, the longer the kit will last. There's also other prep work to do to the cylinder to make it last.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby ostella » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:55 pm

I know about chamfering the ports, I matched the ports, what else for longevity? the nature of all 2 strokes is risking seizing on long downhills. even premix is underfed. an old loose ,varnished cylinder is best prep. even tho oil pump is ratio geared, if i enlarge all holes and channels, it should at least increase flow. we'll see. adding oil and running bigger jet is probably best bet for break in. I also want to add 22t clutch gear. anyone have a clutch tool to lend? i know they're cheap,should i just buy one? thanks
ostella

Postby jeffreyned » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 pm

What size carb comes on those Stella's? Or, what size carb are you planning to run?
jeffreyned

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:50 pm

- intake size should match exhaust ports size
- port timings / size, blow down, squish check / compression
- retarding ignition is nice
- jetting is set up right with right carb size

my old pinasco 215 had a hot spot in its rpm's that couldn't be jetted around... the pipe used can make a huge difference which carb can work right and which can't work at all

you in eugene...??
spiderwebb

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:53 pm

200cc HotRod Al nice work for the right compression

http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=40690
spiderwebb

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Exhaust port usually needs to be wider on most kits, haven't cut up a pinasco but 68% of bore is pretty safe. will named the other things to check and do to avoid problems. which clutch tool, nut or compressor? You can make a basic compressor tool out of a bolt and some washers in a pinch.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby ostella » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm going to run stock 20 spaco carb. trying to keep it simple, but then too late with kit. I matched the ports and chamfered them. also polished exhast. so widen exhast too? I'm using simo pipe. have 12k on eng. with no problems. yeah i'm in eugene and would love to get together and talk cause i suck at typing. I'm available this weekend. let me know time and place and i'll try to make this happen. thanks again for advice.
ostella

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:11 pm

stock port shapes on kits are based around stocking pipes so a sito+ is fine

if your using a performance expansion pipe that has a power band then the port timings should be made to work with the pipe you want to use or high heat and mixture flow / power shall be way off = hot or just no power where you think it should be...

port timings of 170 - 180, 30 blow down, intake of around 130 and squish of 1.5 to 1.8mm is good. You can change your port timings with packer plates and raising the ports with a dremmel bit but be sure what your doing since removing a but too much can f**k it all up...!!

a mm is a lot in port timings and timings

squish is fixed by decking the head or barrel or by re-profiling the squish chamber or adding a spacer somewhere to change the compression #

as you know

stop by next week
weds @ the Jackalope Bar
6:30pm

every week
spiderwebb

Postby jeffreyned » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 am

Seems like a 20 Spaco carb is a bit on the small side.
jeffreyned

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:11 am

Yes, 20 might be small, you could stay with a stock type and go 24/24. Also consider the ggr hot reed (25) as an upgrade to your reed block. Simonini pipes are known to be a peaky pipe, really only taking off at higher rpms. It'll be better than stock, I used to run one on a similar motor but am much happier with my jl pipe now. I've been converted to the theory that there are.really only two pipes and the rest of what is out there imitate the two successful designs to varying degrees. Not sure how big you are, but a banded clutch basket (50) would avoid an issue with adding power and stock parts being able to handle it. We have lots of different builds amongst us, and lots of kits so don't get discouraged by all the advice, just trying to save you some headaches when the weather is nice and you are waiting on that one important part.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby ostella » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:56 am

thanks for the great info. am totally lost with port timing, so i'm relying on the kit to do it's job. I've read on stellaspeed a dyno on the simo pipe that shows its more of a lowend pipe. i agree, it looses at top end.pinasco kit is another low end kit.i enjoyed stock performance, just hoping for alittle more to handle regear on hills. all mods comp. reliablity. I like to ride more than work on it.thats why i got stella nu. disk brake,no points. I worry about changing the reeds cause i don't want to have to inspect every 3k to see if there cracking. again more performance = more work.i'm hoping to go the summer with alittle more fun factor and redo bottomend next winter. we'll see. Iwill try to make it on weds. one of these years. Family obligations during the week restrict my freedom. riding stella is my one true selfish indulgence. hoping to see you all at next rally or sooner.
Cheers,
Mark
ostella

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:02 pm

you can check port timings your self
- degree wheel
- bit of wire to mark zero degs via flywheel bolt
- a few long deep sockets and washers to torque down the barrel to speck without the head on so you can make notes and mark the bore for later dremmel work

Gearless24 can write up a fast how to for you / as a Sticky for our tuning section when he has a second outside work...
or you can find this out on line somewhere.

he helped me last year and it was fast and easy:
- found out what the stock numbers were for the kit
- think about what we want
- check & set the intake timing 1st
- check blow down and exhaust #'s next since those can be changed within the barrel buy raising the ports or lowering them so they are fully open @ BTDC but can't happen 1st since this would change the intake timings
- open up the exhaust port to a width of 68% of bore diameter with a nice radius on the corner to keep piston rings from snagging and smoothing surface to nice shine (faster air flow to get heat out of barrel) & raising / lowering it
- make sure the exhaust port tunnel is not trumpeted but of equal width all the way to the exhaust flange
- match manifold / reed base to the intake port but keep surfaces dimpled (keeps the mixture in suspension)

do this over the winter and ride all this year with a smile that you did all the hard and rewarding work that allows your engine to flow air and heat in and out as needed while being cooler and having more power... all good things.
spiderwebb

Return to Scooter Workshop