79' p200e

If you're having a problem with your scoot, drop us a line!

Moderator: Tuna Cowboy

79' p200e

Postby GoldBeachScooterBoy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 pm

I just brought home a 79' p200e. It has not been run in about a year. I put fresh fuel in it plus shot a few squirts of starting fluid in the intake. Fired up but did not stay idle. what exactly is ment by 2% oil mix? 1: ? per gal.?
GoldBeachScooterBoy

Re: 79' p200e

Postby joe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:43 pm

welcome, Gary. nice score with your scoot!

2% is 1 to 50/gallon
http://www.scooterhelp.com/genmaintain/mix.calc.html

with your oil reservoir not connected, you'll want to make sure the type of carb. if it's a non-inject carb, then premix in the tank. if it's an oil inject, you'll want to connect your oil. and not premix in the tank.

with autolube, it mixes it for you.
Site Admin

Postby joe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Site Admin

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:07 pm

enjoy you new ride...!!

I would before a long ride / any ride
- carb clean / rebuild kit / jet check over and write down all the #'s
- top end check over = piston head de coke, piston ring check / clean up, new gaskets, chamfer ports
- new case oil and new clutch plates / clutch springs within a few hundred miles once you start having some clutch slippage
- maybe use a gas line fuel filter for a few tanks until the crud is gone from tank / wash out the tank
- new fuel lines
- check to see oil pump works
- make sure the oil pump pathway under the carb is free of clogs / old oil
- check tires are safe
- check hub studs are not worn / tight to hub
- braking
- lube cables..
- check locking hubs nuts are tight / cotter pins on the hubs
- new battery

all easyish
spiderwebb

Postby GoldBeachScooterBoy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Thank you for all the input and sound advice!!!...Today I got it running! Not quite sure what I did. I opened up the air box and turned the Idle screw a little and turned the air/ fuel screw a little. It smoked pretty bad ( White smoke) I took it for a test run for about a 1/4 mi and back. I ran it through all the gears with out any problems. I noticed that the hard line for the autolube , the one in the air box seems to have something jammed in it. Should I not bother with this and just mix my own fuel?

Cheers!!
GoldBeachScooterBoy

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 am

that is the oil line from the oil pump...
it sounds like it is blocked off

if it is you NEED to get a oil measuring cup and mix your oil right into the gas tank
if there was no oil n the gas you might have blown the engine if you went 5 mins longer than you did...

http://www.scooterworks.com/2--oil-meas ... s-4325.php

the mixture screw needs to be set right... I think 1.5 turns out is right but you should check with others
the idle jet does change that setting

lets check it out
invite some of us over if you want to make sure your safe
spiderwebb

Postby joe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:03 am

Gary, here's the site I mentioned

http://vespamaintenance.com/fuel/carbtune/
Site Admin

Postby GoldBeachScooterBoy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks again! I did use mixed gas. 50:1. I would love to invite whoever would like to come down. If you have a way to haul your scoots down, there is some very scenic rides around here. Most hotels are moderately priced if you want to make it an over night.

Cheers!
GoldBeachScooterBoy

Postby GoldBeachScooterBoy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:38 pm

Greetings fellas!, Ok up date- oil pump is still not hooked up so I'm mixing my gas. Purchased some High grade 2 stroke racing oil ( Red Line brand) mixed it into non ethanol gas and added some ( Sea Foam) to help clean carb. Adjusted air/fuel mix and set idle. seems to run smooth and maintains idle when just sitting. I let it sit running for about 15-20 mins. took it for a spin down the road, ran through the gears and experienced some slipping between 3rd and 4th. It has a hard time starting, even after it has been running for a while. What could this mean? does the battery have anything to do with this? What kind of oil does the transmission need and how much.

Cheers!- Gary.
GoldBeachScooterBoy

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 pm

gear slipping: check the tightness of the gear cables, remove the nut that holds the selecter box cover (also goes through the fan shroud) and remove the cover(wiggles out). make sure that there isn't too much slack in the cables and cycle through the gears to check them. there are adjuster nuts on the front of the box, pain to get to since the kick starter is kinda in the way. if the cables are fine, likely it is the cruciform, not a difficult job but a part in the center of the motor. i've seen it done at a rally in just over 2 hours, but that was some expert skill. could be done with help via photos, text etc or one of us comes down and helps to swap it.
http://vespamaintenance.com/engine/select/index.html
http://vespamaintenance.com/engine/cruciform/index.html

hard starting: check the compression, usually you would want to see at least 120, once you get close to 100 it can be a real pain to start. also check your spark plug, should be chocolate brown, wire wheel to clean off the carbon or replace with b7es. your carb/motor could also be sensitive to flooding. next time it is hard to start, gas off, throttle wide open, 3-4 kicks.

transmission oil: non-detergent 30W, you don't want to have the foaming action of detergents (although i'm sure in a crunch anything would be better than nothing). usually standard oil for a lawn mower will be 30w non-detergent, about 600 ml i think http://vespamaintenance.com/specs.html#engine
http://www.scooterhelp.com/genmaintain/ ... hange.html
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby GoldBeachScooterBoy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Greetings fellas, Well after tinkering with my scoot and trying the advice of others, i think it has come down to the ignition system. I noticed a serious degree of corrosion (rust) on the contact end of the spark plug wire going into the ignition coil ( the little round cylinder thing with ribs around it). I did my best to clean it but i think it needs replacing. I ruled out fuel and flooding, thanks to Joe! Thank you for the run down on that! So which parts dealer has the best pricing? I'm would like to replace the CDI,coils and spark plug wire.
GoldBeachScooterBoy

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm

http://www.scootermercato.com/

say you know TDCSC and he might hook you up with a discount...??
worth a shoot
spiderwebb

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:24 pm

GoldBeachScooterBoy wrote:Greetings fellas, Well after tinkering with my scoot and trying the advice of others, i think it has come down to the ignition system. I noticed a serious degree of corrosion (rust) on the contact end of the spark plug wire going into the ignition coil ( the little round cylinder thing with ribs around it). I did my best to clean it but i think it needs replacing. I ruled out fuel and flooding, thanks to Joe! Thank you for the run down on that! So which parts dealer has the best pricing? I'm would like to replace the CDI,coils and spark plug wire.
just replace the plug wire, 8 bucks at your average auto parts store. Don't throw away money, although I would suggest having a spare cdi on hand at some punt. The coil is part of the stator and not replaced unless bad and it helps to good at wiring and soldering. Btw if you get a spare cdi get the good blue ducati, the cheap Indian ones crap out easy.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:19 pm

here is a good link:
http://vespamaintenance.com/elec/cdiwork/index.html

the coils Tuna refering to but one of many on the stator plate a shown below

a erratic spark can be due to many things...
- 1st check plug wire and cap
- then plug wire to CDI
- CDI ground wire
- tarnish within the spark plug cap

ect

most of the time it is the CDI ground wire is streatched and has broken within the sheath = it look fine but is not... or it is the spark plug wire / cap / connection to the CDI
spiderwebb

Postby GoldBeachScooterBoy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:26 pm

I am learning so much! Thanks for the info! So I changed out the spark plug wire, The guys at my local Nape store made me a new one. It fired right up at third kick! Took it out for a short run down the street and back. It ran fine. I noticed one problem though, The metal crimp that connects to the spark plug seems to want to stretch out and not make good contact causing it to not want to start unless I re-squeez it. next should there be any amount of wetness to the spark plug? The color is right but there is a little residue on it.

Can't wait to get endorsed!
Han Soloing it on the south coast!-cheers!
GoldBeachScooterBoy

Next

Return to Scooter Workshop