lml parts

If you're having a problem with your scoot, drop us a line!

Moderator: Tuna Cowboy

lml parts

Postby ostella » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi guys, I recently installed a pinasco kit w/ banded clutch upgear. put on 10 miles. readjusted minor issues, started it and as I was putting on my helmut, it lost spark. I traced it down to the stator winding. supposed to be 500 ohms resistance. mine is 360. So I ordered flywheel puller and LML stator, but it's the wrong one. And I don't see the one that's like mine with pick-up on outside of flywheel. stella internally very different w/ stator, porting and even clutch parts. help!!! Thanks in advance. Mark
ostella

Re: lml parts

Postby ostella » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:21 am

I look forward to seeing you all wed. @ Jackalope. When is the best time? cheers
ostella

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:18 pm

I have no idea about the parts you need for that scoot

call Mercato and ask him some Q's
http://www.scootermercato.com/

others shall chime in I bet

C U @ the Lope one day
:) :)
spiderwebb

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:35 pm

we meet wednesday at 6:30 though several of us are usually there by 6. i think the part that you are referring to is the hall effect sensor with the low ohms? usually that can be replaced with some skilled soldering. landon is pretty good with electrics, i am definitely not good at soldering. if it is just a coil that is reading bad then it can be replaced too but i also recommend a similar skill level at soldering.

on a separate note, since you have things apart, you might consider pulling the head off and degree'ing the kit. i don't think any of us have run a pinasco locally to see if anything needs to be tweaked on the ports. does your pipe match well to your kit? have you jetted it and done plug chops? a little extra work now will ensure that you bike lasts longer. a different cdi would be good too to eliminate the variable timing.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby lookn4bikes » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:02 pm

Early Stella's had the external pick up. They changed after 07. Hit up Shalom72c on Stella speed. He was trying to use his OG LML on a 200cc conversion and had to order one without the electric starter ring. Might be able to purchase his original external pick up one.
lookn4bikes

Postby joe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Hey Mark, nice seeing you last night. keep plugging on that Stella!
Site Admin

Postby ostella » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Hey guys, It was great seeing you all awhile back. I got almost 50 miles on new motor and lost spark again!!!traced it back to cdi box. only thing left I haven't replaced. I put on px style stator and flywheel so I was wondering what type cdi box to replace it with? is ducati best or only choice? Thanks again for all your help and hope to meet up again w/ya'll soon .
ostella

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:47 pm

is this the 205cc pinasco...??

if so that kit needs to be with a long stroke crank or you are going to have issues in the 1/2 to 3/4th throttle area that can not be jetted around... something due to the port timing of the 205 kit as it was designed with the longer crank stroke.

it is a lined barrel so once it gets nicked it is toast

be safe

check your timing is right asap
spiderwebb

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:02 pm

ostella wrote:Hey guys, It was great seeing you all awhile back. I got almost 50 miles on new motor and lost spark again!!!traced it back to cdi box. only thing left I haven't replaced. I put on px style stator and flywheel so I was wondering what type cdi box to replace it with? is ducati best or only choice? Thanks again for all your help and hope to meet up again w/ya'll soon .

Blue ducati for the cdi.. Everything else is various degrees of crap.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby ostella » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:14 pm

hey guys , my kit is 177cc. on my stella the coil is seperate from cdi. do I replace w/ ducati and then need voltage regulator too? seems like all the kits use that set-up. where does it get mounted?thanks for info!!!
ostella

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:33 pm

ostella wrote:hey guys , my kit is 177cc. on my stella the coil is seperate from cdi. do I replace w/ ducati and then need voltage regulator too? seems like all the kits use that set-up. where does it get mounted?thanks for info!!!

since you have the stock stella ignition on there, you have to make a small modification. go to autozone and buy a 56e single spark plug wire (56" long, i cut them in half and get two out of one wire). they do have them, but most of the people working there are simple folk and don't know that they sell them. If they are out, get any reasonably long spark plug wire with a 90 angle on there. I personally like the 8mm wires but it is probably overkill and a 7mm wire would work just fine (I'll explain in a second why this is important). with the ducati cdi in hand and a spark plug wire, at least 25 inches long, you pull the coil off of the engine side, disconnect the blue wire from the back and tape it off, it will not be used but no reason to demo it out.

now remove you gas tank, this can be a bit tricky with the oil tank attached. you probably don't have to detach the fuel line but you will need to pop the grommet out of the way and allow the on/off arm to pop through. the general motion to get it out is a 'pull up on the back and push slightly on the oil sight glass' to coax the tank out. changing the cdi is easiest with two people since you don't need to remove the tank but just get enough space to guide the new spark plug wire through the frame and through the grommet to the other side. if you don't have help, sometimes a scrap piece of 2x4 (i love using lumber to work on bikes) can be used to prop up the tank while you work.

Feed the spark plug wire through either the grommet with all the wires or you can drill a new hole, just make sure and use a grommet to protect the wire. now take the new cdi and screw it onto the spark plug wire (prior to attaching the CDI to the frame). if you got a 8mm wire, take a utility knife and shave down the sides a bit so that it fits into the new cdi and will screw in. a lot of cdi's have a rubber part like this http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-P ... ots/161125 to help protect the wire where it screws in from moisture. if you got a 7mm wire it should basically screw right in. now mount the cdi in the original stella location and button every thing back up. i think when graham and i did it, we did the replaement in 30 minutes. it will give you more power as the stock stella cdi had some crazy variable timing built in. make sure and get a good accurate measurement on timing when you are done. 18 degrees is what it should run at. too much more advanced (like 22 or 24) and you will build too much heat at high revs. then onto jetting. hope that helps.
Cheers,
Geoff
Tuna Cowboy
Forum Moderator

Postby ostella » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:38 pm

thanks for advise. have been researching different bikes. will try to keep it simple. don't want to pull tank cause last time I bumped the oil tank window causing it to leak. what a pain!I ordered ducati blue cdi coil and rubber boot. So I think it's time to rewire and do it right. when I'm done I'll make sure you give it a full inspection. cheers
ostella

Postby ostella » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:54 pm

hey guys, I've stopped cryin an now I'm typin. I took off my stella cdi,put on a nu ducati blue cdi coil. I put it in the same place as old one. I cut the red,white and green wires shorter and attached to coil. I took the green and white wire, since it was in the back and attached it to the blue and hooked it up in green and white place. won't start. changed h/t lead,plug and still nothing. been fightin this thing all year. what next??? Thanx
ostella

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:57 pm

wait for Tuna to chime in
electronics are not my thang

don't worry it shall be fine
you should check your timing before the next ride if you changed the Cdi
spiderwebb

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:08 pm

First , have you googled stella-service-station-manual.pdf , just as I typed it. It should leed you to a modern Buddy forum, then search for the Stella manual. I am doing some circuit mods on Mikes Stella engine and this manual has been a gold mine of info. The very good electrical schematics show a similar color scheme to the P200 for wiring up the CDI and coil, the only thing being different is the blue wire that goes from the Stella CDI to the coil, no longer needed with the Ducati blue. So red from the pickup, green from the coil and white is a ground, same on both. good luck.
English Dave
Dave

Next

Return to Scooter Workshop